Thursday, April 14, 2011

Back to Basics

What's it all about? Why are we Christians?? Better still, why do we even exist?? Why are we human?? Why do we get out of bed every day?? Why do we work, why do we have relationships, why do we have cell phones and send e-mails and make plans for our lives and have goals and have Bible studies and go to meetings and church and the like?? For those of us who are Christian, why do we read the Bible?? Why do we pray--for ourselves and others?? Why do we have fellowship with each other on a constant basis?? Why do we go to conferences and read books and fast and learn about spiritual gifts and change our lives and discipline ourselves??? Why, WHy WHY??? Why in the world do we do all this stuff????????????????????????????

8 am, Saturday morning.
"Jesse?"
"Yes Father?"
"Jesse...I love you."
"I love you too, Father."
"Jesse?"
"Yes, Father?"
"I really love you."
"I love you too, Father."
Silence... thirty seconds pass; then-- "Jesse?"
"Yes, Father?"
"You know... I love you!"
"Father... I love you too!"
"Yes... but I love you more than you can possibly fathom."
"I know you do Father. And I love you a whole lot as well... I think you are more beautiful than the stars on a cold and wintry night."
"Yes... but...Jesse...I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LOVE YOU. More than I am able to make you understand, I love you."
"Father, you are so beautiful. I love you more than I can say as well."
"Yes, but Jesse. I love you so, so, SO stinkin' much that it hurts, how much I love you. I love you like I'd pull the car over to the side of the road, get out of the vehicle, walk over to your side, look you in the face, and tell you so that you understand...I LOVE YOU."
"Wow... ok... like, you must really love me!"

Romans 8 states that God pre-destined us to be conformed to the image of His Son. That is one thing that we can all agree on as Christians. We are to become just like Jesus.

Well, if that's the case, then it is going to be absolutely necessary for us to have, and to continuously develop, a close, deep, intimate relationship with the our Father, the Creator. Because this is what Jesus had. Jesus was constantly making statements such as, "I speak the things which I have seen with my Father," and, "I know Him, because I am from Him, and He sent me," (John 8:38, 7:29). And, "...I do nothing on my own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught me. He who sent me is with me; He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him," (John 8:28-29). And this one--"I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world," (John 8:26). And, addressing some of His contemporaries, "But as it is, you are seeking to kill me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God;" (John 8:40). And it continues--"But even if I do judge, My judgment is true, for I am not alone in it, but I and He who sent me," (John 8:16). "I am He who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness of me," And so they were saying to Him, "Where is your Father?" Jesus answered, "You neither know me nor my Father; if you knew me, you would know my Father also." (John 8:18-19). "We must work the works of Him who sent me," (9:4); Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing; it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, "He is our God. And you have not come to know Him, but I know Him..." (8:54-55). "...even as the Father knows me and I know the Father..." (10:15). And the coup de grace..."And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God..." (17:3).

Basically, the entire book of John goes over Jesus' relationship with God, THE FATHER. And we are to be conformed into Christ's image.

Many people have the notion that a change to their circumstances would make them happy. Well, that may help, however, better circumstances are certainly not the goal. The goal, and what really makes a person happy is being in love. And that's why we do everything that we do...to be in love with God, and to be in love with others. That's it! DO NOT USE GOD TO MAKE YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES BETTER...USE YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES TO KNOW GOD BETTER.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this verse out of 1st Timothy that states, "But the goal of our instruction is love out of a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith." (1 Timothy 1:5). That verse could be the summarizing verse for the whole Bible. What's it all about Alfie? It's about loving God and loving people.

We are here for love! As Christians and as people. What is all of the stuff in Christianity for?? What is prayer for?? To get us in love with God. What is church for?? To get us in love with God and each other. What is prophecy for?? To get us in love. What is teaching for?? To lead us to being in love. What is Bible study for?? To get us loving God and loving people. What is evangelization for??? It is to lead other people into a loving relationship with God. EVERYTHING IS ABOUT LOVE. Human beings were created to be in love! It's just the fact!!! THE FACT!! We are meant to be rapturously in love with our Creator. As in, Knowing Him well all the time and falling madly and deeply and passionately in love with Him. Hearing Him, seeing Him, feeling Him.

Someone will say, "You can't see God!" To which I say, "Au contrair, mufrair!!!" Romans 1:20 states that what can be known about God can be seen in what is created. So....... this being the case, let's start a project, it being Springtime and all. For the next two months, every time you witness something beautiful in nature, realize that you are seeing Him. Every flower, every bird, every breath of warm air...every ray of sunshine warming you, every green shoot coming up in the garden...every baby kitten, every puppy, every baby horse and cow... every green shoot coming out on the ends of the branches of the pine in your front yard...every sunset... every windy night that moves the trees when the moon is full...THERE'S YOUR CREATOR. THERE'S YOUR FATHER.

Want to know Him??? When your cat jumps up in your lap... when your kids laugh... when a beautiful woman walks by.... there is a picture straight out of the heart of your Creator. GOD IS EVERYWHERE. To those paying attention, He can be seen almost everywhere and in almost everything in Creation. (I say almost because there are those parts of it that we have screwed up that DO NOT represent Him in the least!) However, the next time you enjoy a nice piece of hot raisin toast with butter melting over it, or you pour your favorite green salsa on your chicken tacos with white onions and cilantro, or you hear a song you haven't heard since you were twelve that brings back all sorts of wonderful memories and emotions.... get to Know Him!!!! Start with the obvious things!!!

No comments: